Sunday, January 22, 2017

Diabetes Unmasked (1/22/17)

This week has been a lot better than previous weeks...

After reading the comments, suggestions and most inspirational stories I decided to try something new to dedicate myself to my diabetes.

At my high school, we had a speaker come in from the non-profit organization Because I said I Would... 

When I first found out we were having an inspirational speaker at all I expected the worst but as I would soon find out this message that the speaker delivered would change my life forever.

Because I said I Would is an organization that focuses on the importance of promises.

They have these little 4"x2" index card type things and at that top, it says: "Because I said I Would".

The area under this simple phrase is blank and you're encouraged to write something down that you are promising either yourself or someone else.

Now, after you finish filling out this card you either give it to someone else to hold on to and to hold you accountable. Or, you put it somewhere that you'll see it and be reminded of your promise. In my case, I taped it on the wall.



I love the entire idea of these cards. I think that promises are super important and this is a great way to reinstall that value in hundreds of people.

If you're interested in Because I said I Would, I will include the link to the homepage and I encourage you to order some cards and make your own promises. I'd love to hear about how they helped you. (:

I've promised many a time that I was going to take back control of my diabetes... but it seems like every single time I fail.  Hopefully, this time will be different...

My mom told me something a little while ago and I'm not sure she knows how deeply it really touched me...

She told me that every time I don't test, or I don't cover my food is one cut that I'm placing on my arm...

Every time I don't do something I am supposed to do in regard to my Diabetes... I'm killing myself...

That's a scary reality... It's scary enough to know that because of this disease my life expectancy is shorter and my risk of other health scares is higher... but to know that every time I don't follow my plan I'm shortening my lifespan...

Using the Because I said I Would card, I think this will truly change the way I look at this whole situation. It's no longer something I'm doing just because I have to, or because my mom asked me to. It's something that I promised myself... and if I can't trust myself... who can I trust?

If you have anything to add to any of the topics displayed here or any questions today please feel free to leave comments, I love reading the inspirational stories and words of encouragement! 

All of my readers are vital pieces in helping me better myself and to help me take control of my life again. 

Have a good week!!!!


Because I said I Would




No comments:

Post a Comment