Sunday, January 15, 2017

Diabetes Unmasked (1/15/17)

Not gonna lie... The past couple days have been rough. 

Not just with diabetes, being a teenager in this era is a struggle. Every single time we post something for our "friends" to see we could compromise our entire futures. It's a lot of pressure for someone that can barely make Mac&Cheese. 

But back to the big D1:

Personally, I struggle a lot with my diabetes. It's something I wish wasn't true but in all reality, I think with every time I admit to it I get a little bit better. 

My biggest struggle is testing my bloodsugar. Being that I'm 17 years old my doctors want me testing between 4-6 times per day. That seems extremely manageable. Something that I should be able to do effortlessly. But this should-be habit is more of a forgotten to-do list. 

When it comes to testing my bloodsugar I'll do really really good for weeks and then all of a sudden I'll miss one check, and then I get pissed that I missed one test and I'll miss another and another until I haven't checked for days... It's a terrible excuse and an even more terrible habit but sadly, it's mine. 
~If you have any tips for this, or any stories please comment below, I'm trying to change my life for the better (: 

I was thinking a lot about commitment this week after listening to a podcast on it. While thinking about commitment I came up with three questions to think about: 

1. Are you committed to not only your diabetes but to your health and well-being in general? 
2. Are you committed to your goals? 
3. Are you committed to happiness? 

After thinking about these questions, I would like you to read my responses...



1. Are you committed to not only your diabetes but to your health and well-being in general? 
I don't think I am committed to my diabetes. I think that I look at my diabetes as an excuse for not making the best decisions both socially and physically in my life, I also think that I'm not committed to my health at all. 
2.Are you committed to your goals? 
I love making goals... I like aiming for them... but the steps to get there seem to leave my mind. I wanted to go to medical school and become a surgeon and live in NYC. Those were my big life goals... but I'm throwing that away left and right because of the decisions I'm making (not only regarding my diabetes) are ruining all my chances. The possibility of being able to accomplish those goals aren't even worth talking about...
3. Are you committed to your happiness? 
Not even close... I truly believe that happiness is almost unreachable. The world is an extremely sad and unhappy place. Although I don't want to be another one of its victims, sadly I think I'm falling into being just another statistics. 

These answers suck... answering them sucked. 
After answering them I think that I'm going to relate back to them with creating a solution and a promise to you... the reader to try and change these answers for the better. 
Answer them for yourself too, come up with your own promises and goals and post them in the comments below. (: 



1. I am going to work harder on my diabetes. I'm going to hold myself accountable for my diabetes, I want to be a good example of a diabetic for younger diabetics. 

Mistakes will happen, but I'm not gonna let a mistake stop me. 

2. I'm gonna stop making goals and start making priorities. Goals make it sound like something you might get to one day. Priorities, on the other hand, are things that you will do. No matter what. Nothing stops them. They will happen. 

3. Happiness is a priority. No longer will I be a statistic. I'm going to break the odds. I will succeed. 


As I write these priorities, I want you (the readers) to know that I hold myself accountable to you. With your help I will be able to accomplish my goals. I hope that we can make a sort of family on here. We can all support each other in our priorities and help each other change the world. 

4 comments:

  1. Dear Tyler,

    I just want to congratulate you on being so open about your struggle with D1. I know many people read your post and find relief in knowing that they are not alone in their struggle. My daughter is only 11 but has had diabetes for 9 years. She has her moments as everyone does but as I see her embarking on the teenage years I get a bit worried because as you said, it's not an easy world to grow up in. I think you should be proud of yourself and all the courage you show in making a commitment to not give up. Best of luck to you and keep on making happiness a priority!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 2 years old in 1967 (nearly 50 years). Type 1 diabetes is like a roller coaster. Sometimes, I do give up, or sometimes, I do not give up. Of course, you will make lots of mistakes dealing with your type 1 diabetes. Please do not worry about the sad places in the world since it is NOT your problem. Just worry about yourself instead of worrying about others. If you want to reach your goals then you must control your blood sugar level, which is very impossible, daily perfectly. Forget it! Also, if you want to become a surgeon some day, then go for it. Happiness is like you enjoy your freedom peacefully. Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing about your situation, Tyler, is your willingness to share your experience with others and to reach out for help. As a fellow Type-1 (Since 2001), I share your frustration. Diabetes requires a lot of thought and care. I also have moments when I just do not want to deal with it, which is common. Over time, it takes a toll and can be very unpredictable. The best I can do is to check my BG, make corrections if necessary and move forward. Each person is different and we each deal with this in our own way. I would encourage you to be gentle with yourself and continue to reach out to others. We are millions strong and the technology to assist us continues to get better and better. There has never been a better moment in human history to have this challenge. I am so grateful for people like you who are working to make things better for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey tyler, my advice is to breath when you have to take it and you don't or forget or you just don't want to. I think we all have been there and felt the affects and they suck but remember there is alaws a tomarrow to try again.

    ReplyDelete